Florida, by Eric Shelman

 Florida


While in Florida

On my first ship we went straight there as planned

On my second ship our captain was told twice to pull in from their capes

however our captain discarded that order

our admiral said that there were high waves and stormy weather up ahead 

finally our captain was corrected and we pulled in.


Went to Fort Lauderdale

for Fleet Week twice on my first and second ships


their city celebrated our services which were mainly Sailors and Marines

by throwing mandatory massive parades


giving us four days of three free meal vouchers and alcoholic beverages

showing their appreciation for all military servicemen and service women.


we all wore our uniforms and showed our military IDs in order to prove that we were actually Sailors, or Marines.


Used my meal and alocholic beverages vouchers on those three days, I did.


stood twenty-four duty one day again.


Drank and danced at bars and clubs.


Wandered around and swam at their crystal clear beach.


Actually I left here early because of how my leave cycle occured 

left in a car on a road trip with fellow sailors to Virginia then to Tennessee.


As daybreak they began without me

heaving to the lines that bound us to the Earth

we sailed off to a new adventure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Dig Her?

Helping A Friend Move On By Eric Shelman

Virginia by Eric Shelman