Bahrain, by Eric Shelman

Bahrain

By Eric Shelman


While in Bahrain 

my liberty was only on their base

where I watched and listened to a U.S.A. Navy Band of musicians and a few singers


Playing patriotic American songs and U.S.A. Navy cadences I sang back in boot camp

as I marched around with my division

who were actually truly excellent


these songs and candeces kept me entertained for a short amount of time.


as I drank and ate local and American food 

truly hoping that my liberty allowed me to find something to do off base


Our ship had beer on the pier, with a grilled hamburgers, steaks, hotdogs, and lobsters


Had a steel beach picnic on the aft part

where we had movies playing on a pulled down screen with a projector with more grilled foods and some cooked foods from our galley.

As daybreak began

heaving to the lines that bound us to the Earth

we sailed off to a new adventure.




actually I enjoyed this better than sitting on base all day, night, and not doing anything


Felt like a prisoner on base because I had no liberties off of base


Humidity and heat made it had for breathe

gave me frequent bloody noses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Dig Her?

Helping A Friend Move On By Eric Shelman

Virginia by Eric Shelman