Ukraine by Eric Shelman

Ukraine

By Eric Shelman


Before mooring into Ukraine

our ship had worked on both KingPins worm gear, helps us with our CON-REP

by moving supplies on pallets onto and off our ship.


Anyways, I didn't have any gloves

I had to grease it up bare-handed

being several hours long while


became, I, extremely hungry 

out of my youthful arrogance ignorance


being invisible and invincible

didn't wash my hands before eating a

big bag of spicy Doritos.


Upon our arrival I was told to be SIQ or sick in quarters, went to my rack because I was puking and crapping at the exact same time and couldn't stop.


Didn't go on liberty beause I was beyond sick all three days and the fourth I really didn't feel like going out

survived what ever illness I had at that time


We did have a whole lot locals praising and warm wishing for us to port and moor there

on our first day there.


On our last day their locals were protesting yelling go home Yankees

because our World War ll mine in the water surfaced they blamed it on us.


Whenever we didn't have a remote control to make that happen

neither did we move that mine.


Seven Ukrainian women sailors come on board and had a tour of our ship

They were beautiful and in their sailor uniforms.


Unbearable heat and humid made it hard for me to breathe and continuously bloody noses.


Stood watch, did fire and General Quarters 

on one day of duty helped keep our ship secured with a nine mm, and M-16 rifle,

on pier, and ship rover.


Ate my chow from our mess decks

bought my snacks and drinks from our ship's store as well.


As daybreak began

heaving to the lines that bound us to the Earth

we sailed off to a new adventure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Dig Her?

Helping A Friend Move On By Eric Shelman

Virginia by Eric Shelman