Turkey, by Eric Shelman

 Turkey


While in Turkey

Consumed mouthwatering

beef and pork gyros

from street vendors and restaurants.


Drank local fruity flavored spiced hot teas

American domestic beers, and local wines.


Smoked flavored tobacco in a hookah.


Religious, and historical art, architecture, Mosques mesmerized me into a trance.


As I walked aimlessly

in a state of confusion

my English language became a barrier

the confusion of my wandering body.


Couldn't sit with my shoe's soul exposed

to everyone

which meant that I am better than anyone else.


Wearing religious symbols, other than a crescent moon with a star underneath it

were frowned upon.


Shaking everyone's right hands with my right hand, otherwise it was offensive.


Had to stop and listen during Muslim prayers, occurring five to eight times a day.


Kept my mouth shout about my personal thoughts of Islam, to myself

especially being a disbeliever.


Felt uncomfortable being an atheist 

in a Theocratic government

forced to adhere to their rules

having few, if any freedoms.


As daybreak began

heaving to the lines that bound us to the Earth

we sailed off to a new adventure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Dig Her?

Helping A Friend Move On By Eric Shelman

Virginia by Eric Shelman